Friday 9 January 2015

Magazine Construction 1

Starting off on my cover, my previously mentioned influence in Little White Lies and ALA-Champ will have a major effect on the way in which the magazine comes out. Starting out, the masthead was the most intriguing thing for me due to the decision to make the background black. I wanted to create a neon-styled title which reflected my film, and did so as shown below. 


Using the neon type base, the following effects were used in order to present the blue glow and the depth which creates the verisimilitude of the title. The top layer is the one which is seen on the foreground of the above image, with the one below providing the depth to the text, utilising a Gaussian blur and 15 pixels. This shadow gives the title depth in my opinion, something adding to the professionally aesthetic title of the magazine. Following this I added the main image through the Photoshop RAW image editing software. Not changing much apart from the saturation of the image, reducing the contrast and heightening the vividness of the colours in order to again provide depth, the image was taken on a digital SLR and originally with a white background, although after importing I used the magical wand tool and inverted selection in order to remove this and allow a transparent background. It was found, however, that the image chosen had our protagonist looking considerably younger than we wanted him to, and as a result utilised the brush tool in conjunction with the brush presets in order to give him a beard and make him look older. Examples of this can be found below, providing the look of my magazine covers first draft. 


No comments:

Post a Comment